Madden NFL — It’s the only game

Posted on February 12th, 2008 in Gaming, Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PC Gaming, Playstation 3, News, Wii, PSP by Guest Writers

5WG is pleased to present the following article, written by guest columnist Chris Sullivan.

***

Electronic Arts announced this morning that it has extended its licensing deal with the NFL through the 2012 NFL season. While this deal will undoubtedly cause an uproar on sports gaming forums across the internet landscape, it’s a match made in heaven, two marketing juggernauts where money seems to be no object.

Taking a glance at the effect this may have on the gaming industry, one can’t help but mention EA Sports’ biggest competitor in 2K Sports. Forced out of the football gaming picture in December of 2006, 2K Sports has been in a downward spiral ever since. Just recently, they announced that they will cease production of their hit College Hoops series, due to their failure to lock up NCAA licensing rights. Back in the Fall of 2007, they made a desperate attempt at becoming players again in football gaming, only to see All Pro Football disappoint. Now, with rumors circulating of a possible sale to EA, as well as EA potentially locking up exclusive NBA licensing rights, this may be the beginning of the end for 2K Sports.

What this deal means for gamers is 5 more years of EA Sports NFL football. Whether it features that old loud-mouth on the cover remains to be seen, but if the past is any indicator, not much will likely change with the gameplay engine that has helped generate more than 2 billion in sales over its 20 year history.

6 Responses to 'Madden NFL — It’s the only game'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Madden NFL — It’s the only game'.

1. Langx said,

on February 13th, 2008 at 4:10 am

If they lock up the NBA I will sell my 360.

I would offcially retire from playing video games.

I have played madden maybe twice since NBA2k8 hit the stores.

Madden 07 Xbox is a better game than Madden 08 on 360.

2. Joey said,

on February 13th, 2008 at 4:20 am

Your last paragraph sums it up for me. Not much, if anything at all will change with the core gameplay. EA will not make any wholesale changes because obviously in their books people must really love it to be the number 1 selling “American football game”.

Madden 06, 07 and 08 played bad, there is nothing else to it. The fanboys will be fanboys, the enthusiasts will continue to be disappointed. I don’t mind too much that they have the license. Sure there won’t be any competition but that is how it is going to be forever….so EA/Tiburon….at least make a football game please….

3. David said,

on February 13th, 2008 at 8:11 am

2009, being Madden’s 20 year anniversary, I’d say what the Madden team will do is reintroduce John Madden as the game’s color commentator. They’ll tout the 20 year thing and include several sales points that will celebrate the 20 years.

Still, I don’t think Madden is as bad as many claim. If they can clean up the laggy menu system, polish up key features and slow the game down a little, I’d be pretty happy with it.

4. Rodster said,

on February 13th, 2008 at 9:33 am

Last year was the first time I did not buy a Madden game. It was after playing the XBL demo and saw the turnover bug that I said i’m not giving EA anymore of my money for a half ass effort. So I stuck with Madden 07 (360).

If the same thing happens again i’ll do the same. I’m going to treat EA like the monopoly that they are. I will buy their product if it’s a solid effort with no stupid surprises. And I know they are capable of it having seen them turn around two franchises, NHL and FIFA.

The sickening feeling I get is that I believe both their NHL and FIFA franchises made huge strides for the better was because of increased competition form NHL2K and Winning Eleven.

5. Carl said,

on February 13th, 2008 at 5:56 pm

EA Sports titles have no soul to them. They are lifeless games. I still buy them only to have them sit on the shelf after a few games. 2K Sports draw me in and keep me there. It would be a very sad day if the NBA only went with Live. I have been palying sports games since the Atari days but I will retire from playing sports games ever again if EA get the NBA rights.

6. on February 21st, 2008 at 10:55 am