PS3 outsells Xbox 360 in July?

Posted on August 22nd, 2007 in Gaming, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, News, Opinion, Wii, Nintendo DS by Guest Writers

5WG is pleased to present the following article, written by guest columnist Chris Sullivan.

***That’s exactly what Wedbush Morgan Securities’ Michael Pachter and the SimExchange’s Jesse Divnich are predicting. The official NPD tally isn’t due out until later this week, but both analysts have the Playstation 3’s sales, for the month of July, in the 160,000 - 165,000 range, with Microsoft only pushing somewhere between 115,000 - 142,000 Xbox 360 units.

Is this a trend we should expect to see continue? Hardly. Pachter believes the Xbox 360 took a minor hit in the consumers’ eyes due to Microsoft extending the Xbox 360’s warranty, which was basically an admittance that their console was experiencing an alarmingly high failure rate. I’ll have to agree with Pachter. It’s the first time Microsoft has addressed the issue publicly, and while it was welcomed news for current Xbox 360 owners, it surely didn’t bode well with prospective buyers.

Another attributing factor had to be Sony slashing the price of the 60GB unit, which they announced in early July. With the news of Microsoft’s extended warranty plan breaking shortly after, Sony’s timing couldn’t have been more perfect. They surely reaped the benefits of it, with the sales numbers being the evidence. Unfortunately, Microsoft was quick to respond with the announcement of a price cut of their own, and despite their total units sold for July being about half of what we’ve seen in the past, I’d expect a quick rebound in the months of August and September.

However, with all of the talk surrounding the NPD numbers for the month of July focusing on Sony’s PS3 outselling the Xbox 360, the phenomenal rate at which Nintendo’s Wii and DS are flying off the shelves will certainly get lost in the mix. The estimated tally has the Wii eclipsing 300,000 total sales, and the DS reaching well over 400,000.

***

EDITOR’S NOTE (8/24/07): Well, this is interesting. the NPD sales numbers are in, and while the PS3 had it’s best month ever (159,000 units sold), it still didn’t outsell the Xbox 360 (170,000 units sold).

That’s telling. It’s not as if the PS3 is doomed to failure, but it’s going to be tough to find a more advantageous month, with their clearance sale - disguised as a price cut - being advertised everywhere, and the Xbox 360’s problems reaching their maximum exposure. - SD

11 Responses to 'PS3 outsells Xbox 360 in July?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'PS3 outsells Xbox 360 in July?'.

1. gamer's girl said,

on August 22nd, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I didn’t realize PS3’s had become so popular. Everyone I know is a 360 or Wii fan, so I assumed it was the same everywhere. I’m just behind the times I guess.

Welcome aboard Chris. Nice to see another great writer join the 5 w-g team.

2. Shawn Drotar said,

on August 22nd, 2007 at 1:27 pm

If Paramount Pictures hadn’t abandoned Blu-ray this week, I thought that the PS3 would keep things rolling from this point.

It’s tough to say now.

I still think that between the two, the PS3 will eventually be the system to beat - and this comes from someone who plays his Xbox 360 about 30 times as often as his PS3.

Unless Microsoft can do something to compete with PS3’s guaranteed hard drive and massive disc/data storage advantages, that is.

3. Skerik said,

on August 22nd, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Until Sony brings the PSN anywhere close to being as good or as easy to use as XBL, the 360 will continue to be the gaming console of choice for most users. While I agree that the PS3 is more reliable, more powerful, and generally a better overall system, as a gaming console it lags behind the 360 because of how lame the PSN is compared to XBL.

I love my PS3, but I play my 360 twice as much because of XBL. However, if you counted all the time I spent playing BDs on my PS3, it would definitely be in the lead.

The PS3 has to decide what it wants to be. I know gamers who won’t buy it because its online capabilities are lousy, and I know home theater buffs who won’t buy it because it’s a “video game machine.”

4. Crazy_Stanley said,

on August 22nd, 2007 at 4:59 pm

The number of online users favoring XBL isn’t going to be enough to keep the PS3 lagging behind. The online gaming community just doesn’t have the mass numbers……yet.

Saying that, I’m not so sure that Sony will eventually be the industry leader like it has been in the past either. I don’t think even they believe they can overcome the incredibly slow start. I don’t think that there will be nearly as many multi-console owners this generation as there have been in the past. Each 360 sold decreases the chances of another PS3 sold. They’re just too expensive for the average Joe to own both.

As far as the numbers in July. It’s my belief that Sony finally surpassed the 100K mark for a single because of the price drop and nothing more. I don’t think the Microsoft warranty announcement played any part in that.

Watch what happens to the numbers come August / September now that MS has responded with a price cut of their own. I’d lay down 3-1 that 360’s numbers are higher than those of the PS3. Just a guess.

This holiday season will be very telling for the future of this generation.

5. Crazy_Stanley said,

on August 22nd, 2007 at 5:01 pm

How much do I wish we had the ability to edit our own posts? lol :)

6. David said,

on August 23rd, 2007 at 5:17 am

With Bioshock getting so much positive press, and Halo 3 this Fall, I think this one minor “victory” for the PS3 is more of a blip than anything. I just don’t see how the PS3 console can continue to compete with the Wii and then the 360.

You have a gaming console with its strongest point being something external to gaming (Blu-Ray).

7. opTIMus said,

on August 23rd, 2007 at 7:59 am

I have both 360 and a PS3. I’m a fan of both, but think about the future. Some developers are ALREADY having problems fitting games on a single DVD. Just think about how it will be 2 or 3 years from now. It’s only going to get worse for Microsoft. PS3 will win in the long run.

8. Erick said,

on August 23rd, 2007 at 10:13 am

I have a 360 and a Wii, i’m interested in a PS3 for Blu-ray but game wise there’s nothing (except The Show) that is a must own. There are way too many amazing games for Wii and 360 that keep me busy.

I’m gonna have to wait for a price cut or two before getting a PS3, just not worth it until then.

I think the high price point, along with being the 2nd to release a system in the “next-gen” era will seriously hurt Sony. Now the 360 is the system they program to (they were first, and it’s easier to program for). The benefits that had PS1 and PS2 the overwhelming winner of their generations are now gone.

Sony doesn’t have the better game library, some existing games run lower FPS than 360, it costs a bundle more. If MS didn’t have the overheating issue I think they’d be on a major roll. I think this holiday season is a key one in determining the overall winner.

9. David said,

on August 23rd, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Optimus, if the PS3 doesn’t start producing some solid sales numbers, I don’t think it’ll see 2-3 years from now. By that time, Microsoft will be very firmly grounded with the Xbox 360 and doing rumor control on their next system.

10. opTIMus said,

on August 24th, 2007 at 7:36 am

David,
    Solid sales numbers? 4 million units isn’t a solid sales number? Wow. If you take away that ONE FRIGGIN YEAR head start that Microsoft had, the 360 would only be at 6-7 million right now. I’ll never understand why people doom the PS3 after just one year. And why wouldn’t the PS3 be around for 3 or more years? Sony doesn’t abandon their systems after 4 years like say, Microsoft. They killed the original XBox early just to beat Sony to the punch and now they’ve gotta repair millions of dead 360s because of that rush job (including mine). A 33% failure rate? That’s insane. Just think about all the PS2 owners that have yet to jump to the next generation. I agree that their aren’t any must have PS3 games at the moment, but there weren’t many must have games for the PS2 when it came out either. Things will change in years to come. There’s only ONE reason why the system is in a distant third right now anyway. People can’t afford it right now.

11. Pete said,

on August 25th, 2007 at 6:56 pm

The hardcore gamers already bought their consoles, whether it be PS3, xbox 360, or both. Now its all about the price. I don’t see how PS3 can compete being $150 more expensive (comparing premium/pro 360 at $349 with lowest priced PS3 at $499). They need to close that gap to $50 and that will not happen for a long time.