ABC News seeks idiots to help slag gamingShawn Drotar

Posted on June 20th, 2007 in Gaming, News, Opinion by Shawn Drotar

“Are you hooked on video games or Internet games to the extent that you feel it negatively affects your life? Do you spend hours each day online or in front of the game console? ABC News is looking for teens or adults who are unable to control their electronic gaming habits or parents of children who may be addicted to gaming.”

Get ready to duck and cover once more, gaming fans, because ABC News is the next media outlet in line to attack your pastime.

More scintillating stories about somebody thinking he’s an 38th level Elf mage in World of Warcraft, or some parent bemoaning the fact that their pasty-skinned teenager doesn’t go outside enough are sure to come. It’s all become background noise to shell-shocked gamers, but the media seems to insist on making gaming the latest villain of society, now that Elvis is dead and Judas Priest hasn’t made an album in 20 years. Somewhere, the real problem, Mr. Lack of Personal Responsibility, is sitting back and laughing, twirling his mustache as the latest patsy takes the rap.

Pardon me while I hop on my soapbox here.

Speaking as a parent, if you don’t monitor what your kids do and let them play video games all day, that’s your fault - not the game’s. If you don’t have time to buy Junior a baseball glove and go outside to play catch from time to time, again, that’s on you. I know life is busy for everyone, but if you weren’t planning on making the sacrifices necessary to raise a child right, you should have thought of that before you decided to have children in the first place. Now, you’re committed - so do your jobs, and stop trying to pawn raising your child off onto the television - and the rest of us who understand our responsibilities to our own offspring.

And if you’re a college student or even an adult that “can’t stop playing?” Buck up and try grabbing some self-respect. Not to go all Dr. Phil on you here, but you turned the game on; you turn it off. We all need an escape sometimes, and video games do a great job of providing that. But if you’re missing work or otherwise ruining your life because you’d rather play games?

That’s not an addiction, that’s called “being lazy”. Put the blame where it’s truly deserved - off the games, and squarely onto yourself.

6 Responses to 'ABC News seeks idiots to help slag gaming'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'ABC News seeks idiots to help slag gaming'.

1. Terry said,

on June 21st, 2007 at 8:28 am

Hell of a piece. I can’t stand reading or hearing things like this in the media, but you have to accept it. I play a lot…a ton. But I also make time for my kids, my wife, my job, etc. I would definitely say I’m close to a “video game addict”, since any FREE time I have is going to be spent playing something. But my free time is always what’s left over after kid time, movie time, whatever is required of me. These idiots just don’t know how to juggle their time.

2. cch99 said,

on June 21st, 2007 at 10:55 am

Agree 100% Shawn. This is the kind of stuff that makes my blood boil. Everything is always someone else’s fault. My daughter is 8 months old and her mother and I have already talked about time on the computer and video games. I play at night when everyone else goes to bed, since we only have 1 TV, but I can guarantee you that our daughter won’t be coming home from school and playing video games the rest of the day, she will be going outside and playing the same way my Mom made my sister and I when we were kids. We had the Colecovision with the Atari 2600 adapter & the Super Action controllers plus I had an old Tandy 1000 I would play Earl Weaver Baseball on. And I used to play Strat-O-Matic board games alot. If left to my own devices I am sure I would have stayed in fromt of that stuff all the time. I was a kid, but as I said my Mom made us go outside, made us do chores and things like that. More responsibility needs to be put back onto parents and people in general. And get rid of these stupid lawsuits that people are wasting time and money on and use some common sense while they are at it. Sorry for the rant there but like I said this kind of stuff gets me rambling and ticks me off.

3. J.R. Locke said,

on June 22nd, 2007 at 6:19 pm

I agree completely with the fact that these adults need to buck up. But food for thought out of lets say my five core friends from high school. Two of them have been “addicted” to games. One blew off a semester of college to play Everquest a few years back and now one of my friends whole life revolves around World of Warcraft.

I guess my point is that if cocaine, twinkies, cigarettes and sex are addicting to the point people can’t say no, well the pleasure dome of gaming is becoming the new “addiction”.

Get off your ass people~!

4. Will said,

on June 24th, 2007 at 6:25 pm

Agree 100% Shawn. It’s absolutely pathetic people claiming the “addiction”.

Excellent Article.

5. on June 26th, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Well put Shawn!

I agree with you on this as well. The complete lack of personal and / or parental responsibility in the USA these days is mortifying. I cannot believe the depths that people will probe in an undying effort to avoid accountability.

If you really want some high comedy (or actually I guess it is more aptly called low comedy.,..oh hell, who am I kidding here, it’s not really funny at all…), head over to the local grade school for the parent-teacher conferences and keep track of the number of parents who never show up or “have something come up” and cancel at the last minute. Next, correlate those findings to the number of kids at home alone for more than 2 hours a day, with a video game and failing grades and anti-social behaivors and pre-substance abuse patterns of consumption. Finally, take the two lists and cross-reference them. I bet dollars to doughnuts that I already know those results! I would also wager heavily that those same parents will damn sure find someone or something (or preferrably both) to blame their child’s plight on.

I think you covered it well-enough - most of these same people who wish to scape-goat the gaming industry are the same wastes of oxygen that are the first ones to tune in to “As Paris Turns” (while allowing their children to not only WATCH but also EMMULATE and IDOLIZE the vapid-one) or the latest episode of “Are you smarter than my neighbor’s dead animal?”

The mere fact that people remain so blissfully sedated as the real news media vanishes and is replaced by 24-7 celebrity / reality / sensationalism TV - run at the behest of their corporate masters, yet can get their Irish up to go after those evil little discs from Sony and Microsoft and their partners (though strangely enough seem to have far fewer problems with Nintendo) is sick.

6. on September 14th, 2007 at 3:43 pm

[…] In America, someone else is always at fault; someone else is always corrupting the minds of America’s youths from right under their poor, helpless parents’ noses. In an odd way, it’s almost become a badge of honor. But in truth, it’s self-deception raised to the highest art. […]